Welcome to our riverside camping ground and picnic reserve here in North Canterbury, only 45 minutes from Christchurch.
Set beside the cool clear Ashley River, the ideal spot for swimming on a hot North Canterbury day.
Surrounded by handsome bush and plants, its beauty is organic and unspoiled and wil ease your mind and spirit. Be warned - if you come here, you may never want to leave.
Specialising in Family Camping we have:
For the young:
- 2 playgrounds with access to 2 more
- Space for children to run, ride bikes, play games.
- Cute little shop with and awesome selection and lollies, drinks and ice creams.
- Great swimming in the river.
For the young at heart:
- Good clean facilities
- Lots of hot water for showers
- Enough space for some peace and quiet, if that is what you want
- Fishing in the river
- Native and exotic bush and trees
- Gentle bird song
- Walking, hiking and mountain bike tracks near by
Why Stay At Ashley Gorge?
- Just 45 mins from Christchurch
- Close to the mountains and ski fields
- Large sites - 12 acres of camping area.
- Beside 13 acres of picnic area.
- So much room and so many attractive trees about. Blissful!
- Our own unique climate.
- Tucked away in a sheltered valley. we miss many of the winds and temperatures can soar.
- NO cold Christchurch Easterlies.
- The Ashley River offers lots of opportunities.
- Over half of the riverbed are shallows, ideal for littlies.
- Great deep swimming holes for the swimmers and the soakers
- Walk along the river and find your own hole to enjoy!
- Take your fishing rod for a walk and try to catch our clever fish
- (don't forget your licence).
Short Break or Longer Holiday
- Close to Christchurch
- Just a short trip to get away from it all.
- Good stop off on the way somewhere else
Ashley Gorge offers the Ideal Relaxation Stop
- Located in a spacious and beautiful setting.
New To Camping?
- Ashley is the ideal place to start
- Test your new equipment in a friendly safe environment.
- Helpful knowlegable owners.
If You're Travelling Then:
Why Not Take A Break Within Your Holiday?
- Relax and enjoy the river and explore our natural areas.
- Do nothing
First or Last Stop
- Short step to Christchurch.
- Late check out available
- Just off the beautiful Inland Scenic Route 72.
- A peaceful trip with less traffic than the main routes.
- Easy Drive to Kaikoura, Hanmer Springs, West Coast, Methven and Geraldine.
- On this route you can enjoy the scenery.
Tranz Alpine Train Trip
Ashley Gorge Holiday Park is a great overnight stay before you enjoy the fantastic ride that is the Tranz Alpine Train Trip. You can sleep in a bit longer and join the train at Springfield, just a short drive from Ashley Gorge, Enjoy the best bits of the train trip, then pick up your car on the way back and stay another night with us or hook back into Inland Scenic Route 72 and continue your journey.
Not Just A Camp Ground!
Ashley Gorge Holiday Park is an excellent venue for your group, club or organisation to hold meetings, workshops, retreats and functions!
"Engineers Without Borders New Zealand" Retreat
"We recently held our national retreat at Ashley Gorge Holiday Park. The location was great, allowing our members from around the country and overseas to fly in to Christchurch and get there within 50 minutes. The place felt really secluded and was a great chance to give our team a taste of the South Island without having to drive for hours and hours. The facilities were tidy, well priced and being able to self cater meant we were able to keep costs down. All in all a great experience. Thanks guys!"
Daimler Enthusiasts ClubThe Daimler Enthusiasts Club AGM
The Daimler Enthusiasts Club of Canterbury recently used our function room for their A.G.M. Have you ever thought of having your club meetings at a different venue? Just under an hour from Christchurch, plenty of parking, why not make a weekend of it. At some times of year you would almost have the place to your selves, Try thinking outside the city... come and enjoy Ashley Gorge.
Mountain Bike Race
In November 2011 we welcomed competitors and support crew for the Lees Valley Challenge Mountain Bike Race. Click here for details on the race. Next Lees Valley Challenge happening the first weekend in March 2013, time to start training now!